Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: I have no clue,anyone?

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have no clue,anyone?

    My, what a wonderfully strange creation! I think the seller is correct that it was intended as a reverberation device. It may have served as the tone cabinet for an electronic organ in a church; it's styling looks the part anyway. The audio signal (whatever it was) was fed to the 600B, which spoke and excited the strings tuned to many different pitches and created a haunting sustained sound. The walls of what at first glance appeared to be a bass horn are thin, and with the S holes allow communication with the air volumes trapped behind, adding to the reverberant effect. It looks to me like someone added the red cloth later on to reduce the output, so it may have worked even better than intended.

    If one depresses the sustain pedal on a normal piano and shouts into the instrument it is easy to hear the sort of effect that the designer of this device was after. The tuning pins and wire appear to be standard piano items, possibly obtained from the church's piano tuner. If it wasn't in PA I'd be tempted to pick it up and experiment with it.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: I have no clue,anyone?

    I did a little patent searching, and while i couldn't find anything directly pertaining to the object in the OP, i did find a couple that seemed to be exploring the same or similar idea.

    This is interesting stuff, and the principles behind it have been visited many times in the last century. There's lots more out there in the patent files if somebody has the interest and time to kill. While not closely related, there are some interesting stringed and amplified contraptions from folks with names like Marshall, Martin, and Ross to name a few.

    Patent US3696698 - INSTRUMENT FOR PURIFYING SOUNDS THROUGH SYMPATHETIC VIBRATION - Google Patents

    Patent US1924063 - SPEAKER - Google Patents

    The tuning pins and wire appear to be standard piano items, possibly obtained from the church's piano tuner.
    I've never known a piano tuner to carry that many tuning pins of the same diameter and length, or wire for that matter as the gauge seems well graduated across the scale. Usually the tuner carries a few scraps of a few whole sizes of wire, and if he breaks one or is asked to replace a broken string, you'll get whatever he's carrying that's closest to the broken one.

    But, what really blows it out of the DIY camp are the cast iron harps/frames and the proper layout and machining for the installation of the steel hitch pins. That process was almost certainly done in the machine shop/metalworking part of a piano factory. Further, the hitch pins themselves would be difficult to source from anyplace other than a piano factory. They are not typically available from piano parts suppliers.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I have no clue,anyone?

    maybe it ran the other way, you plucked the strings and the speaker was like a large microphone? Nah that doesn't make any sense.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: I have no clue,anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    maybe it ran the other way, you plucked the strings and the speaker was like a large microphone? Nah that doesn't make any sense.
    Generally, if the strings were supposed to generate the fundamental, they would be damped with some kind of mechanism that would allow only the chosen string/s to speak while muting the others.

    These strings appear to want to ring sympathetically to fundamentals being produced by the speaker.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: I have no clue,anyone?

    That is the coolest speaker/effects unit I've ever seen. With an Altec speaker nonetheless! I wonder who manufactured it? I'd love to hear how that thing sounds/operates. It's an hour south of Binghamton, NY. Bowtie--that's in your backyard, isn't it?
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: I have no clue,anyone?

    It's an hour south of Binghamton, NY. Bowtie--that's in your backyard, isn't it?
    Yepper, a little less that 2 hrs to the southwest, in the heart of Anthracite country.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have no clue,anyone?

    It would work great hooked up to a microphone to let the congregation hear the voice of God or the Great Wizard
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member A7fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2006
    Location
    Pacifc Northwest
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have no clue,anyone?


  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member A7fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2006
    Location
    Pacifc Northwest
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have no clue,anyone?

    What do you think? I wasn't aware there is such an instrument as a wind harp. Here's a pic. http://www.harmonicwindharps.com/ima...ind%20Harp.jpg

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: I have no clue,anyone?

    It is a Texas Jaw Harp.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.